In September 2020, Mr. Bisharat, co-founder of DELEX received a request from respected Dr. Sima Samar, the founder of Gawharshad University to conduct a wide-organizational needs assessment, with the aim of introducing new insights on organizational development, building financial resiliency, improving capacity for change and help achieve greater effectiveness by developing, improving and reinforcing strategies, structure, and processes. We, therefore, submitted a technical proposal mainly consisting of defining assessments’ objectives and scope, methodologies, pattern and tools, assessment process, and indicative timeline. And, our organizational assessment was bottom-top approach generally included three key steps:
- Gathering Information
The first step was largely focused on primary and secondary data to understand what are the existing strengths? What’s holding it back? During the information gathering process we:
- Asked key employees and leadership to complete assessments and received their bios as well their roles and responsibilities. These helped us understand their organizational performance capabilities, find out existing gaps, and identify areas of strengths as well as opportunities.
- Attended key group meetings with each faculty member and reviewed documentation of processes as well as roles and responsibilities.
- Conducted interview team members one-on-one with leadership. During these interviews, we also reviewed and discussed major challenges and opportunities.
- Initiated daily observations and informal meetings with staffs from different departments with various capacities
- Document, analysis & setting findings
We followed a systematic assessment approach to assess the dynamics at work, analyze factors that impact organizational performance. We went through all documents, verified and analyzed them to deepen our understanding of the organization’s current structure and practices, and to inform dialogue, reform planning, and action to strengthen key areas. We analyzed our findings concluded as below important categories:
- Organizational & Structural Deficiency
- Strategic Limitation
- Poor Organizational Intervention
- Specific Improvement Recommendation
Based on our in-depth assessments, we looked at issues from multi-disciplinary approaches, therefore, we identified key areas how different dynamics might come into play, how organizational resilience is built up to inspire changes, how the University is put on the right track of adaptability in the competitive business market and finally how organizational effectiveness is achieved. We provided almost 40 specific improvement recommendations in the light of growing competitive business markets, technical capacity, existing infrastructures as a way forwards. We made both detail-oriented and another focus was on the big picture of organizations.